As we mentioned earlier, the majority of at home laser hair removal devices rely on IPL or Intense Pulsated Light. IPL hair removal devices emit a variety of different light wavelengths to heat and destroy the hair follicle.
IPL hair removal at home allows for faster treatments as the scattered light waves can cover a larger area of skin than a concentrated laser. At home IPL is considered less painful than laser, but usually requires more treatments before seeing permanent results.
There are a few things you need to know before you embark on IPL hair removal at home:
- Read the user manual carefully and be aware of potential side effects. To avoid any burns, crusting or hyperpigmentation you should start with a patch test and wait a few days to see how your skin will react. This way you can adjust the right energy level and proceed with a larger visible area.
- Make sure you shave before treatment. IPL treatments are not effective on longer hair and can potentially cause burns. Be sure to shave the treated area prior to treatment.
- Avoid tweezing and waxing six weeks prior to treatment. Pulling the hair from the follicle can hinder the IPL process as there will be nothing to convey the heat to the hair follicle.
- Avoid perfumes, deodorants and lotions prior to treatment. All of these can interfere with the effectiveness of the IPL treatment. The skin should be clean and dry to allow full contact with the device.
- Avoid sun exposure. Experts recommend that you are free of tan, natural or fake, when you use IPL hair removal at home. IPL devices work best when the contrast between skin and hair is greater. Therefore, you should avoid the sun 2 weeks prior to treatment to prevent any skin injury.
- Be patient and consistent. IPL hair removal is only effective when the hair being treated is in its growing phase. Therefore, you will need to have a number of treatments over a period of several months in order to catch all hairs in their growing stage. So if you want to see results, you have to be patient and consistent.
Ready to say goodbye to unwanted hair for good?
Here are SIX of the Best At Home IPL Hair Removal Devices currently on the market.
For those of you who thought IPL is not suitable for darker skin tones, we have selected 3 devices that safely and effectively work with darker skin tones . Please refer to our buying guide to find the Best Home IPL Device for Dark Skin.